PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rossair accident in 2017 - training and checking assessment
Old 14th Aug 2018, 04:33
Ramjet555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
It has been claimed that one of the reasons Rossair has gone into administration is because of the terrible accident they had.

This is from the ATSB preliminary report investigation number AO-2017-057:

Can anyone advise if that type of company training and checking assessment would be required in the USA on a proficiency check for similar charter pilots, or is this a unique Australian requirement?
Hi Dick,
I'm in Canada but believe its almost identical. It's normal for a "check airman" or Canadian ACP, approved Check Pilot to "do rides" which are PPC, Pilot Proficiency Check which generally combines an IPC or Instrument Proficiency Check. In the USA , you get either a log book endorsement or some proof that it was done. In Canada its signed off on a competency page. Interestingly, an IPC done in the USA (or Australia) by a CFI -ii (Instrument Instructor) its valid in Canada but, a Canadian IPC is not valid in the USA.

Actual aircraft training only uses simulations at altitude. The days of simulated engine failures at low altitude are gone.
I recall one training instructor in Cairns who had flipped I think more than one aircraft during simulated single engine failures. Yes, he is dead now, flew into a mountain. That's another story.

If you want real emergencies you do them in a Simulator. I last went to Flight Safety and its very realistic, V1 Very Loud engine failures, KaBang.. it scares the living daylights out of you.... The sim is generally programed to fail an exact speed.

I have my own sim set up to do that, just put it at altitude, hot day, overload it a bit, and try to fly it to 400 feet.

The SIM is the only way to go for V1 Cuts, in the sim, they press a button and the cockpit fills with smoke, a resourceful instructor has a cigarette lighter and plastic electrical wire to get the right odour...

Take your leg of the trim wheel and you get a trim run away, don't look at the guages, and the oil boils...
Some companies seem to have insurance requirements for Simulator. Others just do it old school
but demand more PIC time and experience which, is getting harder to obtain.