PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 17:49
VH DSJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been in the US now for almost two years. It's always been my intention to come here, get the the jet experience and then move back home where the experience gathered here would make my job applications back home a lot more competitive than what it was without it. And so far, that plan is working.

Many treat the regionals as a stepping stone to the majors or other better paying jobs like the cargo or LCC carriers and the company also understands that. Infact, during my first day of Indoc here, that was exactly what was said to us by senior management in the company. They're happy to have us move on with nothing owing to the company and they're even happy to accept us back if things don't work out at our new company. It also fits their scheme of things by having pilots move on quickly, as they won't need to always be paying the top tier pay to their captains, as they move on after only a handful of years with the company. I suspect that's why the company keeps regional pilot pay at the levels they're at, and although there have been an increase of 100% or more in the last 15 years or so, regional pilot pay will never reach the levels of legacy airlines despite the fact that many of the routes that we do are the same as mainline routes (on the ERJ at least).

Although there are what's known as 'lifers' here (those who are happy to stay working at the regional level, either by choice or that they can't seem to crack it for the majors), the majority of people here (locals and E3ers) only see this as an experience gathering exercise or stepping stone for greener pastures back home or elsewhere. Although the pay is survival (and even more so if you upgrade to a captain quickly), that is not the main reason why many of us are here.

Here is some advice for those considering making the move to the USA on the E3 visa. Just do it. You have nothing to lose. You get a free jet type rating, no bond, no minimum service and you get paid to see some of the most amazing sights you'll ever see when flying (Eg, Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, the Grand Canyon, The Golden Gate Bridge on the Bedega2 arrival in to San Francisco, the Statue of Liberty going in to La Guardia, the Niagra Falls when flying in to Chicago from the east). You'll also gain first hand experience in cold weather operations during the winter with deice and anti-ice procedures, operating in snow conditions, doing CAT 2 ILS as pilot flying in to LAX when the marine layer moves in and not to mention, getting RNP 0.3 certification as well flying into some of the busiest airports in the world, like Chicago, Atlanta, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle and Dallas. All this would look great on your resume for that 'dream job' you're applying for back home or elsewhere. This is what it's all about.