PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Briefing of ATC (Updated)
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2018, 13:30
acvr420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Briefing of ATC (Updated)

Please help me in answering this question about using a medical information transfer practice to improve ATC changeover

Briefing of Air Traffic Controllers

Current Aviation Practice:
WEST (Weather, Equipment, Situation, Traffic)
REST 1 (Runway, Equipment, Station, Traffic)
REST 2 (Restrictions, Equipment, Situation, Traffic)

Proposed Medicine Information Transfer Practice 1: I PASS the BATON

Description:
I : Introduction - Introduce yourself and your role
P : Patient - personal identifiers
A : Assessment - presenting chief complaints and symptoms
S : Situation - current status and circumstances
S : Safety - critical reports and alerts
B : Background - previous episodes and family history
A : Actions - steps taken or required with rationale
T : Timing - urgency level and prioritization of actions
O : Ownership - medical personnel and family responsibilities
N : Next - anticipated changes and contingency plans

Application:
During changeover, air traffic controllers can utilize the I PASS the BATON mnemonic to transfer critical information from the outgoing ATC to the incoming ATC. First, the outgoing ATC will introduce himself/herself with the role inside the air traffic tower. Instead of patient, a summary of passenger planes will be explained followed by the primary concerns that the airport is experiencing. Other issues can also be explained here. The ATC will then move on to the overall current status of the airport operations such as arrival and takeoff rate. Any memorable events will also be highlighted and address the actions taken for resolution. Furthermore, list of important tasks will be presented and suggest possible prioritization such as immediate departures, possible emergency landings, or airport maintenance issues. Lastly, a breakdown of the responsibilities of the different controllers will be elaborated to prevent miscommunication and assign each one to guide incoming and outgoing flights. The transfer briefing will end with any anticipated interruptions with airport operations or any delays due to flight congestions.

* Do you think I PASS the BATON will work better than the current aviation information transfer practice (WEST, REST 1, REST 2) in the briefing of air traffic controllers?
YES / NO

* Please explain why you chose your selection:

Proposed Medicine Information Transfer Practice 2: Handover ABC

Description:
A : Areas and Allocation
B : Beds and Bugs
C : Colleagues and Consultants
D : Deaths and Disasters
E : Equipment and Events

Application:
During changeover, air traffic controllers can utilize the Handover ABC mnemonic to transfer critical information from the outgoing ATC to the incoming ATC. Areas and allocations will examine the different areas of the airport and determine proper allocations of ground staff personnel. Beds and Bugs is replaced by Bays and Bridges to create an even assignment of boarding gates and bay parkings. Colleagues and Controllers will mention the different personnel on duty and the availability of expertise when need arises. Deaths and Disasters will create a summary of any potential disruptions in the airport operations and prepare runways in case of incoming and outgoing disasters. Lastly, equipment and events will be noted to see which airport equipments are not in use or under maintenance. This will also include the availability of ground transportations in the case of bay-parked airplanes. The Handover ABC provides an overview of the entire airport as well as the movement and location of aircrafts.

* Do you think Handover ABC will work better than the current aviation information transfer practice (WEST, REST 1, REST 2) in the briefing of air traffic controllers?
YES / NO

* Please explain why you chose your selection:

* Which practice do you think has more potential of improving the transfer of information between air traffic controllers?
I PASS the BATON or Handover ABC