PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Douglas Haywood and Ross Kelly
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2018, 16:25
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Derfred

No, it isn’t.

But apart from the spelling and grammatical errors which my 10yo son could proof-read, the Factual Summary specifically says the F/O was type rated on the aircraft (page 13) but then the preliminary findings says he wasn’t. Of course whether or not that could be a causal factor is not explored by the report.

But what the hell is a comment like this doing in the preliminary findings:

This statement is made as a “finding” with absolutely no supporting evidence or explanation!

This defies belief in an official report. It probably indicates which direction this investigation will follow.
from my take the investigation is taking the Go-pro cockpit (and tail camera) footage as a tool to assist their findings in the CRM comment - (I have read the report)

they do quote that the engine on fire was not positively identified by any of the crew at any time or the LAME who was working the engine controls despite a passenger telling them at once the LH engine was on fire
nor were any fire checklist procedures initiated nor the fire extinguishing handle pulled
handling problems were mentioned by the PF and he noted on startup and taxi out the Rudder control was very stiff
propeller autofeather light was U/S (defective bulb according to LAME)
the a/c was on a test flight straight after A B and C checks but with pax on board for a ''scenic'' flight who had signed indemnities for the flight

until the injured crew are able to provide their recollections of events the findings in the report are all we have as are the camera recordings - much supposition of course is on the R&N thread but on the whole the crew were very likely were trying to fly the plane and keep it going as we see full UP LH aileron in the photos along with open LH engine cowl doors top and bottom -
the flying crew were possibly mindful that the LAME (whose baby this a/c was as he works for Rovos Rail who owned it) was looking after the engines...who knows ?

i wish them speedy recovery and suggest that any further discussion of the report is made on the R&N thread perhaps?