PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 340 (C-131D) ZS-BRV crash Pretoria, South Africa
Old 12th Aug 2018, 07:07
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by andrasz
The way I read it, the FO had a valid Australian license with the appropriate type rating. However to operate a ZS registered aircraft that license must be endorsed by the SA CAA. Apparently this endorsement was lacking.
2.2 of the prelim states, referring to his Australian license..
2.2 The FO had a valid Australian Air Transport, Commercial and Private Pilot Licence, however he was not type rated on the aircraft (Convair 340/440).
2.3 deals with his SA validations...
2.3 The FO’s validation of his foreign license was only limited to Single Engine Landing aircraft with the following aircraft types (C150, C172, C182 PA 28 A/B) this is based on his foreign license validation application and skill test report dated 9th of May 2016 and the validation was valid until 05 May 2021.
The way I read the above, he wasn't type-rated on the Convair in Australia (or SA), and his SA validation was limited to SE only (limited to the light aircraft types listed), yet he was operating as crew on a ZS-reg ME aircraft.