PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 00:58
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Seagull201
Havick, wages in OZ are higher than in the US for most jobs. Houses and cost of living is much higher here. A Security guard earns 25 an hour, Cleaner 23 an hour, Retail 22 an hour, U.S hourly rates for those jobs are well under, about 15 an hour and lower.
A multi engine flight instructor earns 70 to 80k, U.S is 48k.
A dash 8 Captain is on 100 to 150k.
A saab 340 Captain is on 95 to 130k.
A regional jet Captain for your company is averaging 81 to 85k a year with the bonus, figures are on the Envoy ads " lets talk about pay" and your company is a wholly owned subsidary of AA others aren't.
Im travelling around Europe and spoken to many Americans and they all agree, that a person will struggle to live on an income of 40 to 45k a year there, and thats a first officer pay on a regional.
Youre quoting a figure of 130k a year because you're flying 100 hours a month.
Anyone thats wants to go to the U.S should go, but they shouldnt go there and worry about money and live in poverty, counting how many bucks are left each month.
im sorry but your friends at skywest who bank only min guarantee are either chumps, or ride the short bus to work. They obviously don’t know how to leverage the soft pay on offer here.

im making reasonable money as a regional captain while I wait for my flow to mainline mid 2021.

Today as just one example I flew what was originally a 5.8 hour sequence out of LGA in NY, but got paid 20.3 hours. I’m averaging 140-150 credit hours each month at CA rates. That doesn’t include quarterly retention bonuses, performance bonuses and also the 1-2 5k referral bonuses I’m cashing in each month from helicopter pilots making the switch.

the guys who want to make money, easily double their base salary without breaking a sweat (not including any bonuses). Those who choose not to it’s really their choice.

the system isnt perfect here but I definitely have a much better quality of life here in the US than I would flying the same role in Aus.

Last edited by havick; 12th Aug 2018 at 15:14.