PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2018, 18:18
Dannyboy39

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WilliumMate
Rather than the airport set the charges AL will be paying LLA a shed load for the concession. I believe 30% of the fare goes to AL. One mini-cab driver I know returned his keys to go back to a local firm as he had to take £1000 in fares gross per week to clear £320 net. He explained it as: 30% to AL = £700. Rent of car £200, fuel £150 and a few misc items. Being self-employed the 320 is before any NI and tax liabilities.

As for cars touting for business, if they are Luton Hackney cabs then they can pick up but not use any ranks and fares would be metered. Private hire cars must be pre-booked by you directly through their office (not the driver), get in one without doing this and you will be uninsured. Local mini-cab firms would rather not touch the airport for short run pick up/drop off. Too much hassle and time spent getting in and out. Cheapest (and often quickest) way of avoiding AL and airport charges is to spend less than the 3 quid fee on a bus into town and grab a mini-cab there.
I think there's 2 million reasons why AL charge what they do.