PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clunkdriver
Thread: Clunkdriver
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2018, 03:54
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew Larry as well. He always had a story or three. He gave me information about agricultural spraying as he had some sort of background in that aviation field along with many others. I believe he also flew the Harvard and the CF-100 "Clunck" in the RCAF. When it came to discussion about aerobatic accidents, he said his secret to surviving doing airshows in the Harvard, where one would do loops in front of the crowd, was simple. He didn't attempt to do a perfect circle to satisfy the aerobatic experts, just what was reasonably close to a circle.with the other 99.9% of the audience completely unaware that his loop was not perfect. Mission accomplished and crowd entertained. I know he spent quite a few years in retirement flying a Cessna 310 for a local company although I never did get a chance to see it.

His wife from New Zealand is also a pilot and they have had multiple aircraft over the years ending up with a couple of Champs along with the Hornet Moth. One daughter is a senior cabin crew manager at the local airline while another one has worked her way up from cabin crew to MU-2, DHC-8 and 737. And if they all want to get a weather briefing for a local flight, they can turn on the TV and watch the third daughter give the weather news.

Best wishes.