PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone found an AMRAAM?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2018, 22:46
Wingless Walrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would keep an eye on eBay over the next few days. I also bet the pilot concerned is spending every spare minute scouring the Estonian countryside; they probably told him its coming out his wages.

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... I once worked on Typhoon & AMRAAM.
From what I can remember the switchology to fire one was not that complicated.
The system wiring and carriage is specifically designed to prevent inadvertent firing, in a whole variety of failure situations. I would be surprised if this is a system failure, if it is it has ramifications for all Typhoons/AMRAAM.

I would be interested to hear from the learned sky warriors here on what they think of the idea of conducting air combat training with live missiles only 50 km from the Russian border.

Would that not have been thought of as too risky? I could imagine intercepts being practiced, but full on hectic furballs with live weapons? Would this also not allow the Russians to easily monitor tactics/performance?

Has there ever been a case before where an AMRAAM fired without command from the pilot?