PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When should I start hitting the question banks
Old 10th Aug 2018, 16:09
TryingToAvoidCBs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to sound patronising but perhaps this attitude of "bank it to pass" is generational?
I did my ground school nearly 10 years ago, with most of the students wanting to learn as much as they could about the industry they were investing large amounts of time and money into. I was like an aviation sponge, I couldn't be taught enough to satisfy my interest regardless of what I was being taught. The bank was used by many, including myself, but certainly not relied upon. In more recent times the majority of students seem to want to learn as little as possible and pass to "tick a box".
I admit the syllabus has changed a bit since then, and is now possibly more irrellevant than then. It certainly hasn't changed that much though. Just because there's lots more questions shouldn't mean that the bank has become a requirement. If you understand the subject you should at least give yourself a good chance of passing regardless of whether you've seen the questions before. Anybody who claims you MUST use the bank or fail is totally wrong. Put your social life to one side and concentrate for 6 months, it's far from hard.

Memorising the answers aside, there's a more important point to this.
Having the discipline, patience and ability to sit down for months on end to learn a subject is good practice for theory you'll need when doing your ME/IR, airline interview prep and eventually your type rating. During these latter stages of your training you won't be given a magic wand or question banks to learn the answers. It's hard work, and you need to be able to crack on with it without compalining how relevant or not the process is.
In my (possibly outdated) opinion, we are all professionals working in a generally very professional and well respected industry. Whether the route that takes you from PA28 to 737 is outdated is of little relevance. Having an attitude which effectively says "I can't be bothered to learn, give me the answers" demonstates lazyness and shows a lack of interest and motivation which will not help you down the line.

Use the bank, it's a great tool, but don't become reliant on it (even if it works). Once you've passed your TR, there's an awful lot to learn, get into good habits to start with and it'll make the rest of training/career much easier.