PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why did they want us to maintain altitude
Old 10th Aug 2018, 09:26
BizJetJock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding is that the whole "power out of the stall with no height loss" idea came from the misguided assumption that if you recover at the warning you do not actually stall the aircraft. When I first moved on to jets after many years of advanced instruction and aerobatics, I was highly sceptical of this principle. Now it has sadly been proved to be invalid by several fatal accidents.
The fudamental flaws are that:
1. Environmental factors, e.g windshear, turbulence, icing can increase the angle of attack beyond the stall very rapidly. Even Airbus state that their aircraft can be stalled in normal law by this.
2. A crew that is sufficiently distracted, tired, or poor handlers to reach the warning are probably not sufficiently on top of the situation to fly a neat recovery from the warning and by trying to do so may actually induce the full stall (Colgan)
3. For many years high altitude stalls and the lack of thrust to fly out of an approach to stall were not even mentioned in training, resulting in no realisation that it was not possible to power out of the warning. (Pinnacle)
So the changes in recent years are entirely the training system realising that they have been teaching it wrong. The physics have not changed.

Last edited by BizJetJock; 10th Aug 2018 at 09:47. Reason: Spelling