PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1v1 combat debrief
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2018, 05:53
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Tartare

It would be fair to say that ACMI debriefs have moved on slightly since Top Gun.

The aforementioned RAIDS pods and similar varieties are useful for large exercises where you have dissimilar types.

I can’t tell you what the Typhoon system looks like (I haven’t seen it) but the Hawk T2 system records everything digitally on one cartridge. And I mean everything. With no need for a pod attached to the aircraft. Clearly it only records T2s though.

In the debrief facility you can display every HUD and MFD from each aircraft. You can then select any page that was or wasn’t displayed.

You can view fights in 3D and use any map or imagery as a background if needs be. You can even look from a cockpit view from any aircraft and pan around to see any angle.

It is so good and records so much the only problem is tempering your debrief so people don’t fall asleep.

US pilots are well versed at running good debriefs but UK pilots are also taught from an early stage how to manage an effective debrief as well.

I’m so glad things have moved on from drawing ribbons on the board. Just think of all the ink we save.

BV