PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tigerair chief Merren McArthur warns on aviation industry’s lack of diversity
Old 10th Aug 2018, 03:28
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach E Avelli
Grand social experiments have no place in certain professions. Who would willingly submit to the knife of a ‘token’ surgeon? Or drill of a should-have-failed dentist?

A good friend was married to a very capable female pilot who had risen to a senior check pilot position in a major U.S. airline. She did it on equal terms with a mostly white male cohort. Then this airline decided to have a quota to include various minority and disadvantaged groups. Failure rate increased and remedial training costs blew out.
She was quite vocal in what she thought of the break down in the traditional meritocracy that had worked so well for so long.

If only the shareholders knew how wisely their money was being spent by their ‘progressive’ CEO.
Reminds me of that scene in one of the Dirty Harry movies where he's transferred to personnel and has to interview candidates for Inspector... a feminist is on the panel and the first applicant has never made even a misdemeanor arrest but is vying for the job to help the Mayor's 'equality drive' - Callaghan in his typical style says "So, she might get her ass blown off but that's not the end of it, out there she'll have a partner and he'll probably get his ass blown off as well and that's a hell of a price to pay for being stylish."

One small note - tell me to bugger off if you like - but I liked your comment except for the use of the word 'cohort'... it's the favorite of politicians and people like MM these days - so smacks of that whole group - just an observation - I find it and things like reaching out and 'outcomes' to be tiresome.