PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why did they want us to maintain altitude
Old 9th Aug 2018, 23:26
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Side note - I've known zzuf for around 40 years - his background is very pertinent to this discussion and his counsel is well worth heeding.

Some of the problems with stall and stall recovery -

(a) the design standards have changed subtly over the years ie it is not a case of one-size-fits-all,

(b) if one wants to know something of the story for aircraft XYZ, one really needs to consult with the OEM FT group to find out just what they did. I have had reason to do so on a few occasions. Some of the responses have been somewhat different to what I had presumed to be the case.

(c) as for any design/certification thing, the first place to start is with the relevant set of design standards (cited in the TCDS), ACs relevant to those regs, and any details in the TCDS which might suggest any variations done between OEM and Regulator.

I recall an FT short course, years ago, where a very well-known instructor TP waxed lyrical on the subject for some time and opened a few eyes. Zzuf would recall that course at Cessnock in the early 90s. It is very important that the OEM's guidance material is followed for routine line operations as we out in the Industry don't necessarily know just what went on during the certification program. That is to say, do things rather differently to what the OEM test program did and one just might get an unpleasant surprise. Indeed, the instructor TP related a tale of (as I recall) a USAF TP trainee who thought it might be a good idea to push on well into the stall in a well-known light twin. Apparently the OEM's program didn't go anywhere near that situation. End result was an inverted spin which provided some thoughts for that evening's reflection over an ale or three for the student TP involved ...

Although it may not be precisely relevant to any particular Type/Model under discussion, it might be useful for folks to have a read of the current stall and recovery words in AC 25-7D to get a general idea of what the FAA thinks about the subject
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...mentID/1033309

On another tack, historically, the ops and certification folks have not always sung to the same music and that has been a source of much of the confusion we see in the Industry .. an unfortunate fact of life which gets pushed into sharp relief from time to time when a major mishap occurs. One could think of the training changes post AF447.

Sometimes there be dragons lurking for those of us who might fancy ourselves more knowledgeable than we be.