PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Revisiting the HS Trident Deep Stall accident in 1966
Old 9th Aug 2018, 21:04
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
KenV, I maintain my alternative view, #14. I would accept that the exact nature of the stall will, as ever, depend on the aircraft type, wing characteristics, control system, trim and the range of cg; and an ‘otherwise healthy aircraft’ (MFS #15).

The residual lift at ‘high’ AoA will be proportional to the wing characteristics, depending on how fast Cl falls away from Clmax with increasing AoA. The lack of either roll or pitch control generally discounts any residual ability of the control surface to ‘affect the airflow’, even although it is disturbed airflow, there still is airflow.

Other discounted factors might include any tendency for natural roll-off during the stall entry, span-wise airflow or disturbance which might affect roll, e.g. engine pod or pylon vortex shedding vs AoA or small values of sideslip.
Differing views might originate from specific type experience, theory or practice. Although not familiar with the C17, I suspect that my civil type experience is remarkably similar.