PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 9th Aug 2018, 15:48
bananaman2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyhigh787
Can someone share the life in Doha in all truthfulness.

From what I heard theres really nothing to do over there and people are all wanting to return home after getting experience. Some even broke their bond on the MPL program to go home.. Must be pretty bad over there despite Qr being the best airline in the world.
Life in Doha’s what you make of it... in fact i’d say life in the Middle East is what you make of it.

For sure it’s no Dubai or Bahrain but you need to focus on what’s important for you. I’m single and am by no means ‘slashing my wrists’ by being there/here - 90% of the trips are layovers (some with Days Off downroute) and then I bid for blocks of days Off and either go home or travel - i’ve probably spent a maximum of 10days in the country each month since i’ve been here. People with families or who are coming from countries at a distance (Australia, South America etc)... are tending to spend more days in the country... so it’s more essential to make it work.

I think most people these days are tending to make their decisions as a ‘package’ - not just the country but the job also (how it compares to Emirates etc).

Regarding MPLs, of the pilots I know it’s the opposite... for sure, they have the same complaints/concerns/challenges... but the reality of earning a lot more money tax free compared to say the UK (21-23years old in some cases earning $10k+ p/m) plus flying say an A350 after 2-3years in flight school, maybe command in the near future... have influenced them.

It’s all big picture. In addition as there are plenty of jobs at the moment... people can pick and choose and be more fussy...