PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 340 (C-131D) ZS-BRV crash Pretoria, South Africa
Old 9th Aug 2018, 03:24
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a Martin 404 crash on takeoff after servicing with Jet-A:

libraryonline.erau.edu/online-full-text/ntsb/aircraft-accident-reports/AAR70-25.pdf

The FO supervised the fueling, the truck was marked 'Turbo Fuel' and 'JET-A' in big letters. He signed a receipt for 200 gallons of Jet-A and 57 quarts of recip oil for the R2800's.

From the NTSB analysis:

While engine operation was adequate to accomplish a successful take-off with the utilization of the water injection system, the termination of water supply to the engine subsequent to takeoff resulted in immediate manifestation of the detonation and/or preignition conditions. The apparent inability of the flightcrew to recognize immediately the symptoms of detonation, or to assess the cause for this condition, prompted the application of carburetor heat which further elevated induction temperature and contributed to even more adverse detonation condition. Cylinder head temperatures of both engines attained the 300' C. gage limit as a result of the detonation and/or preignition. Again the action taken in opening the cowl flaps, in an effort to rectify this indication, was responsible for increasing drag which adversely affected the critical thrust/drag configuration of the aircraft.
It's been a long time but I remember stopping to drop off a passenger in a bizjet in Quincy, Illinois. The airport was small, not sure if it had a tower and the FBO was the Heetco Jet Center. I bought some fuel (it was indeed Jet-A) and one of the motors was a little low on oil so I ordered a quart. 'Sir, we don't normally stock that turbine oil here at the Jet Center' was the reply.

It seems improbable that the wrong fuel could be put into ZS-BRV with so many aviation types onboard and presumably present at the preflight operations. However, it appears that the plane may have come out of the paint shop a couple of days earlier with the new livery. Was the wrong fuel put on late the night before by a line crew with the Jet-A truck? Or, was the Jet-A inadvertently loaded as ballast fuel before going to the paint shop?