PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA 61.75 'Piggy back' Certificate Validity
Old 8th Aug 2018, 15:02
Nubian

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gustosomerset
Gordy - So that legal interpretation is very clear. FAA 61.75 'piggy back' certification, based on a foreign (i.e. EASA) license DOES NOT (contrary to popular belief) restrict the holder to fly only those types for which he or she is rated on their EASA license.
Instead, it confers the FAA privileges of 'an airplane category rating' which, in the case of light helicopters for example is 'any under a gross takeoff weight of over 12,500 pounds'.
I imagine this could be very useful to anyone wishing to fly multiple types without having to go to the expense of gaining multiple type ratings under EASA rules.

However, the FAA go on to say that: "...our interpretation addresses only the requirements to operate a U.S.-registered aircraft under our regulations. Our conclusion in no way limits another country's ability to impose other pilot certification requirements for flights operated within that country's airspace."
So I take that to mean that: a) The interpretation applies only to N reg aircraft (wherever flown) and b) that other countries are at liberty to impose certification restrictions within their own airspace that, in effect, could over-rule the privileges conferred by the FAA certification.
Am I right on both points? The first seems straightforward enough but as to the second, is there any evidence of any country ever having sought to do so - the CAA in the UK, for example?
Why do I get the feeling that you want to use your FAA piggyback license to fly other than N reg aircrafts in the UK?