PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abingdons Alive still
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2003, 01:55
Neil Porter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah ta for that info re the S3 Viking - i was at the Crash gate on Gozzards Ford (about halfway along RWY 18/36), remember it going past and all of us looking puzzled as to why it could not stop on a 6500 ft runway!!

We cycled round to the end of Barrow rd to see it on the road - i have put my picture of it being towed off the road on page 2 i think it is on this thread.. and i heard about the 'parking ticket'!

A friend of mine still has the OXford Mail write up about the visiting Tornado GR1 from 14 Sqn at RAF Bruggen (yep another good base gone!!), it arrived on the thurs before the 89 Bof B airshow - remember seeing it ready for departure on the thurs eve, whilst i was in E Hangar to help unpack the airshow programs & heard it blast off with an immediet 'C130 sounding aircraft follow'!!.
I thought you can't have a Herk immedietly land after a Tonka just took off, then the sirens went off with an SAC shouting Oh F**k not again!!!!!!!!

I think it crashed at Oday Hill just outside Drayton & the crew got an award for steering the Tornado away from the villages.

I think the Tornado suffered a multiple bird strike??
And that eerie Herky sound was i guess the birds being gulped up by the Tornado!!