PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USMC Set To Become the Lead Maneuver Force In The US Military
Old 8th Aug 2018, 12:09
Lonewolf_50

Received 416 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Perhaps when the Army ever gets away from viewing the Helicopter as a variation of the Deuce and a Half Truck.....it might do better aviation-wise.
They have, somewhat. When I was on various joint staffs, I was introduced to the new and enlightened era (by some Army field grade officers I worked with). 90's and early 00's. Aviation (in particular attack aviation) is a maneuver unit. Medium lift not so much. The 101st at Fort Campbell with their large aviation presence also seem to be among the more enlightened. As to learning how to make the most out of the aviation assets ... heh, that's a never ending struggle.
Heaven forbid the Army should try to take on "real" aviation operations that would undermine the Air Force's perceived supremacy in such matters.
USAF is pretty good at training, standardization, and large muscle movement air ops. They treat helicopters like something that doesn't really belong on the dinner plate.
The benefit the USMC gets from being part of Navy Aviation is big budgets, sophisticated aircraft, and a more specialized mission than the Army.
Big budgets? Hmmm. Interesting use of a comparative term. The Marines are purpose built as a combined arms force down to the MAGTF/Battalion(+) level. They also don't have Army's weighty Title 10 responsibilities.
Then there is the Leadership thing
Yeah. That they have. And a dogged commitment to mission. (Else V-22 would have died to Cheney's axe when he was SecDef, and at various other points).