PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone found an AMRAAM?
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2018, 11:50
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I assume the world has moved on to employing pilots who 'just know' when they are carrying live weapons in peacetime!
And it was that sort of assumption that led to the F4/Jag shootdown accident in the first place....

Not sure how well versed you are in the full details of what happened that day but as I understand it and have heard it (from one of those involved) chuck in the standard pressurised exercise scenario in RAFG, then add a slightly unusual/possibly controversial decision from on high about the carriage of the weapons, then miss a piece of duct tape, then add a bit of pressure to get a trigger pulse on film, and.......

I know all those involved know darn well it shouldn't have happened, but I gather one well known aviation psychologist consulted at some point about the event said that given the nature of the training he was suprised it didn't happen more often...

So yes, I would hope the Forces have moved on from simply relying on duct tape to break a sequence of highly rehearsed motor actions.