PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Sues For Forced Retirement
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2018, 10:11
slowjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bristolscout & Hunterboy, excellent posts and thanks for trying to bring us back on thread. Notice how quickly others, missing the point completely , attempt to throw us of course again ! Captain Bailey probably has no wish to continue after age 65. He certainly has no need. His case is, quite simply, to remove the arbitrary age barrier. It might benefit others rather than himself. Offer him a 737 or DC3 freighter until, again, some arbitrary cut-off age would be of no interest to him but he might well object to the arbitrary cut-off.

I can well immagine how, after shutting down his dreamliner following his swansong, Wayne might have asked why it had to be the last. If Crew Control called him up very next day and asked him to come in & do another Barbados, what on earth would stop him other than the fact that he was now, 65 & one hour ! Nonsense.

In the good ole days, BA pilots had to retire at 55. Why ? Lots went on with other carriers until the further, arbitrary age cut off of 60. But they had to leave BA at 55. Daft. The really lucky lot on BA 747 went at age 55 and joined SQ, at LHR Base until they reached 60. Simple swap of uniforms and aircraft livery. Many must have enjoyed a wry smile as they carried on doing the same job, same base , with something else painted on the side. And before I am leaped upon by those missing the point, yes, I can see a desirable project to retire people in order to make way for the up and coming otherwise the waiting line might become intolerable . I was in BA. Time to Command was running at 15-20 years. But, the aim was a BA Command & with people having to go at 55, a circulation existed. At age 22, I would be 42 at first Command and have to go 13 years later. Seemed ok. And, here comes the point again fellasAt age...........55..................I could swop uniforms, liveries and carry on with someone else until the daft cut off of 60. (Now, 65). The BA retirement age was not arbitrary but a personnel control feature. Wayne is simply asking why is it a REGULATORY requirement to quit at age 65 ?