PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vale John Whale, Bristow Helicopters
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2018, 04:48
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Sandy, unlike some of the posters like Hugh, I knew John for only a short time when he came to fly with us in the twilight of his career as a contractor with CHC. A cruel combination of economics, spurred on by the ambitions of the new generation of baby Captains, saw men like John, with their immense experience, shovelling into the left hand seat as co-pilots to young Captains, some of us who had really only just learned how to spell the word “Helicopter” For some, this was a difficult transition and a test of character that they struggled to pass.

John approached it very differently. He had a unique way of influencing his Junior Captain with a combination of humour, paternal guidance and care that simply surpassed all the complexities of modern cockpit relationship theories which we now call CRM. I always tell people that a good oppo for offshore operations is a storyteller. Someone who has lived a full life and enjoyed. it.John was the perfect companion in this respect. I felt John was happy in his work and very comfortable in his own skin. Most of all he loved his Cornish Pasties and I remember we were given one for lunch from one of the rigs and it was so substandard in Johns opinion that it filled the whole flight home telling me what should have been inside that pie (I am Northern).

Men like John get missed badly when they pass and I hope other Rotorheads can share some more anecdotes of John to help you all through this most difficult time.

Best Regards DB