PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA 61.75 'Piggy back' Certificate Validity
Old 7th Aug 2018, 22:35
B2N2

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
limitations and restrictions of the foreign (UK) license, but I cannot see where it says that it is also subject to the same ratings and privileges and I continue to believe that these are two separate sets of things.
You are confusing two things.
If your EASA certificate has a limitation that carries over.
it is very common for non-FAA licenses and certificates to carry a maximum take off weight limitation. That carries over.
if your EASA Certificate states that you are rated in a R-22 then that is also a LIMITATION in the eyes of the FAA as under the FAA License/Certificate system such type limitations do not exist.
Another good example is your night rating.
If you do not hold a night rating then you cannot fly at night in an N-reg on a piggy back certificate till you’ve met the FAA night flying requirements.

Now....your EASA certificate does not say ‘No night’
It says VFR day. Follow me on the semantics.

So for the sake of the discussion your EASA certificate states VFR Day R-22.
On your FAA validation you can now only fly VFR day in a R22.

The licensing systems are different so your permission to fly one type becomes a limitation or restriction on the other since no other types are listed.
The fact you have a make/model/type listed becomes the restriction as by default that’s the only one you can fly in Europa land.
Should make sense now.

My background: FAA Flight Instructor full time for 13 years and 80% European customers as our school.
We’ve literally done 100’s of these validations.