PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ Interview... need help here.
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2003, 00:22
cpt744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YKYAP,

SQ111 should be quite right in his guess on Capt Lim who interviewed you, his a nice chap. I don't have his email contact and would advise you not to bother. If you fit the SQ cadet profile as a Singaporean or Malaysian, they WILL call you soon. If not, just try again the next round. So far the record that I know of from one rather new FO was 5 times attempting the 1st round
interview. It's the tea party interview that's lethal, if you fail that round; don't bother anymore as SQ Airline house mainframe computer has a huge hard disk.. with paper back-up too with all the "blacklists". If you do get to next round, it's more vital to keep a cool head while answering some of the real tricky questions, just one extra for you.. "Singaporean gets a chance for command upgrade in 8years, the rest gets it at 10, is it fair? Why??"
Think about this sort of question and try to stay focus as objective as you could whenever you provide an answer. No right or wrong most of the time but they just wanna see how you back yourself up. This is actually much to do with flying, what do you do as a Captain when you have to make a decision?? Whatever the answer, you must be able to justify it later when there's a need to do so. That's why they won't want a YES Man or NO man just for the sake of saying NO..

9M-JON,
You're too generous with your compliments, I'm just giving a few cents worth of opinion to those who find use in it. Other than that we're merely having fun dishing out our ideas aren't we?? Cheers to Danny for that on starting and maintaining PPRUNE for us.
In answering your questions, I have to say that SQ has not taken in any Direct entry FO for a long long time. Ever since we're able to self sustain in the mass production of cadets from Jandakot and I do not see any chance at all in getting in as a Direct entry FO for as long as you can predict.

Anyway, judging from your userID I would presume you're a FO with SQ love-hate brother up north, my suggestion is for you to GET your command first, you will enjoy that period of upgrade much more than doing it in SQ.

With MAS the upgrade selection is fair and you have a full tank 737 to bash around the vast land of West and East Malaysia for your initial command flying, this is perhaps the best you can get from this part of the world in building up your experience considering NOWHERE else in ASIA you'll find a place that ATC controllers speak fluent English and airports are generally of excellent standards too for your fun flying..

In addition, just for info, we already have quite a few SQ Malaysian FOs who are real pist off( who isn't at this time??) and had already put in their resumes and CVs to MAS for a group entry in revisiting the 1990s saga; where we have 10-12(I stand corrected on this figure) FOs who were taken in to MAS and given command after a year or so later.

All in all, better watch it if you do wanna leave MAS as personally I say MAS is an airline that still takes care of it's employees and you don't get the kind of shxx that we are getting here where the highest level of management(SG Govnt inclusive) intends to bury the pilots if they could with paycut and etc. They WILL pay peanuts if they have a chance and don't bother telling them that they'll get monkeys by doing so, as they are not even convinced pilots are of any live forms but simply just some irritating staff numbers with huge payroll digits in their eyes. I personally thank the existence AND presence of EXPATs(and don't bother with any rebuttal on this from anyone of you reading this that I'm a expat or siding the expats, I'm a SINGAPOREAN who reads facts) pilots in the Airline. You can darn sure mark my words too that they will continue in their attempts till they succeed...

All said.. I'm leaving for my flight in a couple of hours time crossing the pond, I'll still do my best in making fuel and fly as safely and efficiently as I can for the PRESENT company that I'm working for... I know 9 1/2 out of 10 out there are like that too, that's why SQ can always count on our "reliability" and abuse us year after year..

Cheers to all who just wasted your time in reading this load of crab from me...