PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast International-2
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2018, 07:53
SecondDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EGAC is Better
Meanwhile at City airport where the majority of my business travel has moved to, a new security search area is open, staff are pleasent and right in the middle of peak morning rush you can clear security in 5 mins.
There is no comparison that can be made between a business centric operation like the city and the mix of loco-business plus loco-holiday traveller at Aldergrove. I don't know about you guys' knowledge bases with regards to the specifics of requirement within the search area but I absolutely guarantee you that the happy shiny people in City would transform into stressed out grumpers in no time should they transfer up the road... Even with TB's example above, I would imagine there was more to that story with the wheelchair tools (like for example, why he had to have them in the cabin when his chair would have been in the hold, what nature were the tools in regards to the dimensions etc. for measurement against dangerous implements restrictions (Workmen aren't allowed their tools onboard either so they go in the hold) But as with most things, the media machine kicks into gear when there is any story that can jerk a reaction capable of generating the required number of clicks. I realise the airport has apologised so ofcourse everyone assumes guilt on their part (rather than a complicated scenario played out in a very short timescale where common sense on the part of even a security supervisor might have pleased this gentleman but still cost the supervisor their job for overstepping their increasingly tight (DFT set) restrictions)

I don't wish to try and explain away everything, it is quite clear the Security provision needs a wee shake up. Hopefully that will happen soon but please try and look a wee bit deeper than the surface of the matter.