PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2018, 07:44
stewyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canberra97

Good post but if I can just point out one error!

Volotea has only ever served one destination within the UK on a scheduled basis and that was only SOU, the airlines flights to SEN have always been chartered flights operating on behalf of TUI as they do with their current SOU flights to Ibiza and Palma.

Volotea previously operated twice weekly scheduled flights from SOU to Palma and once weekly to Ibiza along with the current twice weekly flights to Palma operated on behalf of TUI as well as Ibiza once a week which was originally scheduled.

SOU has a huge catchment area and largely a wealthy one and the airport and airlines need to be more proactive in promoting flights from the airport, the amount of people that I chat to are unaware of what is on offer and even Vueling didn't last long on BCN to SOU a route that surely should have succeeded but it didn't purely because hardly no one other than aviation enthusiasts knew it existed and therefore loads were light but theoretically the route should have been a success and could have culminated in Vueling expanding at SOU in a similar way to how they have done at CWL.

There was talk on these forums a few weeks ago regarding EasyJet starting 4 x weekly flights from Palma in summer 2019, since nothing has materialised I should imagine that we can take that rumour with a large pinch of salt but it would be absolutely great for the airport if it eventually happened.
EZY don't release Summer 19 until October and new routes not announced until December!