PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2018, 07:42
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
DB, now stop worrying!
We all have our own personal concerns and perception of risk. Albeit that "discretion is the greatest part of valour", the ones I really worry about are those who take off in conditions they have never had the opportunity to train for (in my experience these are civilian, more often than not). Maybe next time, in a similar situation, this crew might do things differently, or not. If it wasn't an "Op" it would probably be classed as training. Either way, it's not really a public concern.

After all, military ops are risky by their very nature. Even if we don't allow our chaps to take risks, the other side always will - and will win.

I have flown in similar conditions of very poor visibilty, as a military pilot. I vividly recall an occasion when I had to ask my crewman if the road was clear before we crossed it and we then had to hover taxy through someone's back garden, much to the surprise of a lady bringing in her washing. I won't go into the circumstances, but it was seen as a matter of great importance that we reached our destination. Would I do it again? Not as a corporate pilot - but thankfully these days I do have the option of operating under IFR with a decent fuel endurance - back then we didn't.