PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2018, 20:44
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Crab I get it.............I just don’t like it!

Without getting me knob out and waving it about.... I have done my fair share of difficult tasks, in the dark, alone (apart from my 2 paramedics), in an unstabilised machine over inhospitable terrain, with no surface lighting trying to help injured people. Not once but thousands of times. And then JAR-OPS came and along with it some new rules. AFCS, sensible limits and more equipment and some aviation training for the medics. After so much risk taken, so much luck expended, it took me a few years to realise the true value of regulation and sensible rule making.

Crab you are right, we have not done the same job. You had a state of the art helicopter (not a clapped out old 355), you had a stick buddy trained and capable of supporting you (not a couple of wide eyed passengers). You had a complex tasking and tracking centre (not a NATS box), you had a winch and winchman, (I had to balance my skid toes on the rocks to let the medics out and the casualty in), hell I bet you even had a real NAVAID (not a Trimble Transpack riveted to the glare shield that vibrated like a whores handbag).

Your trouble is you really believe you are the one, the only one who has “Been there and done that” And my trouble is, given the utter ****e you often spout, I can’t believe you have ever been there at all.

I have learned, thankfully not the hard way, that rules and limits are my friend. They exist to guide me on my way. And many years ago I recognised that my real job, that of a professional aviator, is to follow them to the best of my knowledge and ability. I don’t alway get this bit right......but deep inside I really want too. I am risk averse. I am careful. I am mindful that my passengers are victims of my decisions and skills.

You on on the other hand preach heresy to me. I will never get you or understand where you are coming from.

So I ask you the very simply question. Would you have ended up on that dash cam or would you have turned back before this option vanished. What really does the Crab think and believe?

Last edited by DOUBLE BOGEY; 6th Aug 2018 at 20:57.