PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remain VFR or request IFR/SVFR?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2018, 16:24
HershamBoys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heli100
to HershamBoys
Thank you for the answer. As i understand, in the UK you have a definition for ATZ. In Latvia, for example, we dont have an official ATZ established around the airport. It is not mentioned anywhere in the AIP. Thus the confusion. Do i need to request SVFR clearance to enter CTR, or as per official SVFR definition, only to enter ATZ? Thank you. Will read my local AIP more carefully
So, when you are approaching the CTR, you can ask for whatever clearance you like, based on your flight rules and the weather conditions in which you are flying. The emphasis is on you to fly in accordance with your qualifications, the equipment, and the weather conditions. If the weather is CAVOK, ask for a VFR clearance. If the weather is bad, ask for IFR. if it is marginal VFR, you could ask for SVFR, but this will increase ATC workload, because ATC must separate you from IFR and SVFR traffic while ensuring that you can remain clear of cloud and in sight of the surface. So...you have entered the CTR on an appropriate clearance, and you now wish to transit the ATZ. The focus changes from what you want to what the controller is permitted to issue. So, if it is 300 metres visibility and BKN000 the controller cannot issue a VFR or SVFR clearance to transit the ATZ, only an IFR clearance. Once you are outside the ATZ, but still inside the CTR, if you assess that the weather will permit VFR or SVFR flight, you can request a change of clearance.

HB