PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK politics - Hamsterwheel
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2018, 15:48
ATNotts

Originally Posted by Trossie View Post
Ireland is not within Schengen. The UK and Ireland have common travel area that goes back a long, long time before Schengen.

How come Jersey works and somehow this is 'complicated' when it comes to the Northern Ireland border? What about Guernsey, or the Isle of Mann? They are all outside the EU and its Customs Area.

I am convinced that it is just mischief-makers determined to cause trouble with the Northern Ireland border for their own narrow-minded ends. And I don't see the UK wanting to make that mischief.
I wish it was, but it's not. Imagine, if you will, the pandemonium there would be in sections of the UK press, not to mention among the majority of the British public (me included!) if the Turkish / Bulgarian border, or the Ukraine / polish border wasn't a hard border. They are both EU external frontiers that we and all other states insist are properly controlled, hence the requirement for Frontex. The border on the island of Ireland is, or at least will be sometime between April 2019 and January 1 2021 exactly the same - an EU external border, which is why the EU is pretty insistent that it is such, unless the UK and EU can come to some sensible accommodation. That sensible accommodation could be EEA, perhaps the (or at least "a") customs Union, or something else workable that so hasn't been dreamed up; and we're not far short of the dream turning into a nightmare as the proverbial "clock is ticking". The claim that the N.I border is somehow different just doesn't wash; the argument that it should because "we're British" likewise. The problem is that the mechanisms of the Good Friday agreement were agreed when nobody, apart from a very few MPs are pressure groups, ever contemplated the UK walking away from the EU, and that just makes matters even more difficult to resolve. It would be easier if the Single Market had never been invented; but it was and it will continue long after the UK has exited stage left.

If the UK and EU were to split with the "no deal" scenario so beloved of Liam Fox and his extreme Brexit cronies; the chances of Northern Ireland's economy going pear shaped, and worse, a potential return to the troubles is probably too serious to contemplate.

Jersey and Guernsey are not members of the EU, and goods require customs clearance when they are landed in the EU (the UK for the most part). How they have got around the question of physical borders I really don't know, but I imagine that because they are Islands the water negates some of the practical problems. Isle of Man is within the UK customs area and no clearance of goods is required. All these three examples are centuries old, and not particularly politically sensitive.