PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyclone AX3 evaluation by RAF
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2018, 13:57
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Forfoxake
Thanks, Collapsed. So it's pretty conclusive that the registration was only 59EE, although you cannot actually see the whole tail in the picture.

Cannot answer your production run question but I note that G-MYER, that I mentioned earlier, was CA 001.

For the record, I have confirmed from my log book that I only did about 400 hours in AX3s, mostly in G-MYHG. This included using the shortest field I have ever got in and out of at a farm near Dumfries (less than 100 metres) to get away from the cows in the main field. Because of the negative angle of attack on the ground, it could also fly in pretty windy conditions for a microlight. On one of those windy days, it was flown from Montrose to Strathaven (only 84nm direct) but had to stop three times for fuel! Nevertheless, it was a great little trainer.
It handled crosswinds very well compared to some aircraft.
One day at Halton, we were getting 310/20kt gusting 25 - 28 so I taxied out to runway 28. This grass runway was quite wide so I lined up diagonally so I could take off pretty much into wind - I'd had a 'moment' on an earlier flight when one wing lifted prematurely due to a gust, so I gently started opening the throttle and thought 'this is smoother than I expected'. The reason for this was that I was already airborne in about 50ft on just over half throttle so I opened up fully and climbed away!