PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyclone AX3 evaluation by RAF
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2018, 13:00
Forfoxake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Collapsed Canopy
Pilot Magazine October 1995 had a feature on the AX3 - it mentions Air Vice Marshall Merriman (one time head of ETPS) flying the machine and of the trip to Barcelona.

A photo of yellow coloured 59EE at Cranfield in 1990 can be seen at:

ABPic.co.uk/pictures/view/1532969 (copy and paste to browser address bar)

G-MYFI (Cyclone Airsports Ltd) had serial number: CA 002 - does anyone know what the UK production run was?

According to the Pilot Magazine article, Marc Mathot claimed to have sold 5000 AX3's before Ultralair's 1994 liquidation - including a float equipped fleet to the Mauritian police. (5000 ? a misprint?)
Thanks, Collapsed. So it's pretty conclusive that the registration was only 59EE, although you cannot actually see the whole tail in the picture.

Cannot answer your production run question but I note that G-MYER, that I mentioned earlier, was CA 001.

For the record, I have confirmed from my log book that I only did about 400 hours in AX3s, mostly in G-MYHG. This included using the shortest field I have ever got in and out of at a farm near Dumfries (less than 100 metres) to get away from the cows in the main field. Because of the negative angle of attack on the ground, it could also fly in pretty windy conditions for a microlight. On one of those windy days, it was flown from Montrose to Strathaven (only 84nm direct) but had to stop three times for fuel! Nevertheless, it was a great little trainer.