PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ' Luck of a Lancaster'
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2018, 10:12
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Some years ago I bought a bag of coins in which I found a DFM, minus its suspension. I resolved to obtain a replacement suspension and research the medal. It turned out that the recipient, although he was a Brit, had been a Lancaster rear gunner on 460 Sqn, RAAF. I got a lot of info from the National Archive from Forms 540, and it transpired that he had flown the majority of his sorties in W4783 - G George of that squadron. When that aircraft had flown 89 ops in 1944 it was withdrawn from service, and flown to Australia via Canada and the US. On arrival the aircraft made a "grand tour" of the country over several weeks, and at each stop it was made open to the paying public, who could visit it and even pay extra for a "joyride". All money raised went to the Victory Loan, I believe. The aircraft finally flew to Canberra, where it remains to this day as an exhibit in the Australian War Memorial (equivalent to the Imperial War Museum), a much more fitting end than those which ended up on the scrap heap. I was delighted to be able to buy from the museum a photograph of G George's crew posed beside the aircraft after an operation which included "my man". This greatly added to the interest of the medal, which is now in the hands of an Australian collector.

Not quite 100 ops but an interesting story, which all started from a neglected and forgotten medal in a bag of coins.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C148191

Incidentally on another thread I made a plea for gallantry crosses to be named now that they are "all ranks" awards. Had this been a broken DFC there would have been no name and therefore no story, just a chunk of silver of little value.

Last edited by Tankertrashnav; 6th Aug 2018 at 10:52. Reason: typo