PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2018, 09:13
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
In my time I've hover taxyed sideways up Mt Byron, grovelled through low cloud and mist in Bosnia, flown Hereford - NI at night in a snowstorm, IFR'd a road in Wales as the weather forecast caught us out and the icing level meant I couldn't go up and the terrain too sloped to land on, and invaded Iraq on a night of somewhat less than VMC conditions. Why do I list them? Because I learnt from each one, and the context behind each decision was different. In hindsight, as a young tyro, going up Byron to pick up the CSE show was daft, but "we all did it" and I was with a very experienced QHI and my horizons and capabilities were broadened in doing so. I applied that lesson in Bosnia where, after the Puma crash in Kosovo, I pushed to my limits and ultimately failed to get across a ridge line - I made the decision that the "risk/reward" balance was firmly one way, so we took our pax back. Low level, below limits, in a snowstorm at night I justified as the guys in the back were going to do a critical time-sensitive job, whilst invading Iraq was "the job" but it was a tough night (especially the USMC CH-46 guys…). This reminds me of the Wales occasion; the weather looked OK at the planning phase but changed swiftly in the hills - we slowed down, went down and considered turning around - only for the "back door" to slam shut (as it can very quickly in the hills). We came to the hover and discussed our options. The LL abort was possible, but the terrain around us meant that we would have to fly it very accurately and the thought of being close to big hills in cloud frankly wasn't that appealing - especially in pre-DAFCS days. We couldn't land on due to terrain so, as a crew, we decided to IFR a road to the ridge line in the expectation that the weather would be better the other side. We were at 10ft in a Chinook following a road as several cars came past - doubtless we'd of been on a dash cam nowadays! We reached the ridge line, came down the other side and, as expected, we cleared the conditions. My point; we did everything right in the planning and got genuinely caught out by weather. As a crew we paused, completed a DODAR analysis and came up with a sensible, workable, plan which we executed. I appended the auth sheets accordingly when I got back and we de-briefed it thoroughly. Nothing more was said. The moral? Unless you were on the cab you do not know the thought process, and a non-contextual 10-second clip does not tell the whole story of the conditions in front/ behind the cab. Apart from the pub, there are few obstructions on that route. They may also have been doing it for Op reasons - not every Op makes the news for good reason. SAR Wannabe - the only bo**cks being discussed here are massive ones, which, sometimes, when appropriate, as a military aviator you need to use….At issue here is "appropriate", and without the full context, we're unable to judge that from our armchairs.