PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4th Aug 2018 Junkers JU52 crashed in Switzerland
Old 6th Aug 2018, 09:06
Alpine Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clearedtocross
The BMW radials fitted have much less power than the former Luftwaffe engines (500+ instead of 800+ HP) and are normaly aspirated.
According to the Ju-Air website their airplanes have BMW 132A3 engines which according to Wikipedia have a take-off rating of 725hp and a continuous rating of 550hp (of which app. 500hp are used in cruise according to Ju-Air), so the power loss at that altitude would not be that dramatic.

Originally Posted by Alber Ratman
JU52s were never build or regulated to CS25. Yes the company has a Swiss AOC as the aircraft must have done so to carry pax.
I don't think that this operation is certified according to normal passenger transport standards as it is performed by an association (like the Swiss Connie) and you have to be a member to take part in the flights. I hope this modus of operation will not be closed as a result of this accident and the opportunity to get a first-hand experience of flying 1930's (or any later era's) style will remain open to an informed public willing to take the risk

There will inevitably come a day when the last piston airliner will have to be shut down for the last time and reduced to a static display, but I hope that this day is still well in the future.