PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2018, 05:54
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Crab Sir,. I think the boot is on the other foot. I am not clutching at straws. I have safely tied down on the moral high ground....which is...THOU SHOULD NOT FLY IN FOG CLOSE TO THE SURFACE in open flight. Meanwhile you pull every excuse you can find:

they are training....no this is not allowed
they are saving us from evil.......errr in the Lake District. Maybe terrorist sheep?
they have been caught out......agreed however they are flying over high ground so more of a deliberate act.
they are hero’s and we cannot question them.....no the boys in the back deserve better.
there are no limits when flying in hero jobs.......err yes there are.
pilots can be authorised to do this.......no they can’t.
They are very experienced......come on! We know that to be highly unlikely in today’s budget constraints.

In the beginning, someone told me pilots get born with 2 buckets. One is called EXPERIENCE and of course is empty. The other is called LUCK and is full. The objective is to fill the Experience bucket before you empty the Luck bucket. What is then this thing we call Experience. After 34 years and 17k I conclude thus....Experience is a series of unfortunate events that if you are lucky, you survive and if you are wise, you learn from. As such, an Experienced pilot has learned to avoid situations where the “Unfortunate Events” may occur. Like risking everything taxiing in fog up or down a hillside. And thus, I believe when we witness such events from afar, it is far more likely that the persons involved are still working on their Experience bucket.

Crab I admire your loyalty especially seeing as you were in the Brill Cream brigade and not the Army. However, blind faith has been proven to be flawed. What we see here is not the SF doing there thing but them being transported to do their thing. Like I said, remember the Falklands.