PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 340 (C-131D) ZS-BRV crash Pretoria, South Africa
Old 5th Aug 2018, 14:22
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by B2N2
Why do these types of threads always turn into “well here’s what I did back then and look at how good I am” discussions?
Lets stick to discussing the accidents and it’s probable causes.

Yes, it may seem like that at times... The problem is that a rare example of a significant, post-war aircraft has been lost and it appears that no one with experience on type is available and willing to contribute. So old farts like myself with some familiarity of other big-radial airplanes are about as good as you're going to get in advance of the accident report.

Of course there are those on PPRuNe who take exception to any speculative discussion of an accident - see at least one post regarding the JU-52 accident yesterday. My opinion is that we can all learn from (and perhaps even contribute to) the sum of human knowledge in the aerospace field if we are prepared to read and/or contribute with any degree of authority and honesty to such conversations. A significant, if small proportion of our speculative discussions on the possible fate of AF447 were a case in point. Once an accident report has been published, the incentive to contribute ideas is reduced.

In advance of a definitive report almost all discussion is speculative. Cut that out and you are left with photos of wreckage and mawkish expressions of sympathy to the bereaved.