PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2018, 06:23
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Helicrazi, good points, an Japanese car and a MAMIL. Both out in fog. What were they thinking.

Clockwork Mouse. With 17k in my logbook and not so much as a scratch of paint, HEMS, MIL, POLICE, HOFO I feel very comfortable that my inner “Traffic Warden” has served me well.

SAS I was also in Sunburgh on the S61 as P2 at the tail end of the Decca ERA. No ILS and a ARA /Decca procedure into the bay onto the end of r/w 27. MDH was “waves visible” and DR when we saw the lights. No other options as the wx changed quickly and the poor old girl had no fuel for anywhere else. This was safe because we were over the sea until the end of the r/w. Protected by the black and white storm scope with the dodgy NDB for backup/confirmation. And we have flown that route so many times we could do it in our sleep.

i would take that any day over an unforced error that sees me hover taxing in fog over unknown terrain in circumstances where an ASDA HGV might become an obstacle or the bloody wires loom out of the gloom to tear my helicopter apart.

CRAB I do not need to add any eggs to the pudding. There are hundreds of Rotorheads who have creamed themselves in CFIT. Some of which were doing oh so important tasks even your precious SAR.

I wonder if you would defend a pilot who chooses to fly along a public road at 10 feet in 8/8 VMC?