PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2018, 16:52
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know that there's a need or not, and any such decision would have to be in agreement with the team. We have to draw a line somewhere. If I fly for a company I fly up to the limits of their ops manual and/or whatever Air Navigation order is valid at the time (one of the best compliments I ever got was from Chalky White who said that I flew exactly down the line that JCB wanted). BUT, there is a clause in the rules that says they can be broken for the purpose of saving life - which I will make use of a) if I have to and b) if it's within my own capabilities. If the ambulance chief says don't mess with his crews, fine - it's his money and pilots are only in charge up till the point where the trip becomes illegal or unsafe. But I also can't believe some of the garbage that is being spouted by some of the professionally outraged.

"If it's not safe or sensible to launch, then you don't launch." Of course - I haven't said otherwise. But usually you don't know that until you have launched. That's when we have to exercise some professional judgment, which I seem to have done successfully for over 8700 accident free hours, and not just dipping my toe in. When did we start not even trying? I must have missed that one.