PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2018, 13:34
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Paco there is no doubt you have skills otherwise you would not have survived. However, JSP318 also has rules as you well know and after a crew wiped themselves out in Battus, responding to a medivac in ****e conditions, the rules were more rigidly applied. Civilian SAR rules also would prevent flight in fog below MSA. Medical missions require maturity on the part of the flight crew. Certainly I would never risk my life, let alone the crew, for a motorcycle racer who has voluntarily taken excessive risks. I write this as an relatively experienced HEMS pilot and a motorcyclist.

Remember Operation Overlord was delayed until the weather improved! The AAC lost a number of aircraft and crews in BAOR due to flight in inappropriate weather. On my pilots course and throughout my training and service no one ever suggested flight in fog, close to the ground, was required or a good idea.

Those of you advocating helicopter flight in fog close to the ground need close supervision and to be reminded to read the rules.

Finally, the more seriously injured the patients are, the chances of survival are reduced. Should we risk 3 or 4 lives for the sake of 1 which may not survive anyway? For anyone who has conducted intense HEMS operations (and I mean several jobs every working day), they will recognise this as the true paradox of HEMS! At the end of the working day I want to go home. Compliance with the rules and limits is the foundation of safety. Breach them at your own peril and good luck to your loved ones if you pile in while breaking rules or breaching limits because the Insurance Company will exploit your enthusiasm to your detriment.