PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing yacht
Thread: Missing yacht
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2018, 01:39
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Recc
That is at least 20 years out of date. It used to be the case that mayday was reserved for danger to vessels only, but under SOLAS and UK law (The Merchant Shipping (Distress Signals and Prevention of Collisions) Regulations 1996) distress signals are now reserved for situations where there is grave and imminent danger to either a vessel or human life. In practical terms, this means that there is no reason for not pressing the big red button on the radio as soon as is practical after someone falls over the side. Indeed, 'man overboard' is an internationally recognised class for a designated DSC distress call. It was a sensible amendment in my opinion.
I readily admit that I'm hardly current when it comes to these things. I've not been in the left hand seat for more than 30 years and last commanded a vessel in 1994. I suppose what I really was griping about was the North Americans' reluctance to engage with the wider world and absorb something from others. I well remember the threat of being keel-hauled when on anchor off a Caribbean island (Rum Quay?) and sought advice on channel 16, complaining about the inaccuracy of the local pilot. This was taken to be a criticism of the chap that flew the island's push me/pull you Cessna and I had to do some hasty translation, none too successfully I fear as in American waters (or those within the American sphere of influence), universally recognised simplex radio procedure is unknown and substituted by truckers' CB language, Good Buddy.