PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it still worth doing AME in Australia?
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 15:07
SkysDLimit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Is it still worth doing AME in Australia?

Hi all,

I am fairly new here so if you have come across a topic that directly relates to this thread, please let me know

I am 24 years old and same as most of you, loves planes, the feeling of flying and the view above the sky.

I have been (thoroughly) thinking of taking up an apprenticeship in AME and was wondering (in your opinion) if it would still be in demand by the time I finish it, say 4 to 5 years?
I had a look on a couple of case study in regards to the future of Aviation in Australia and as they all say, Oz would need thousands of pilots and maintenance engineers to keep up with the number of planes being manufactured and delivered.
I also found out that at the moment, AME is one of the many skill shortages in Australia according to jobs.gov

If so, would you recommend getting CERT IV from AVIATION AUSTRALIA first before landing an apprenticeship, or better off start knocking on doors? As of now, I work as a clerk at Airnorth.

I read from some threads previous years ago that some AME and LAME are discouraging people to take up this apprenticeship and labelled it " a waste of time" because of CASA regulations, low pay(?), and "no end to it" thus got me thinking about it because I don't want to waste my resources, specially, my time if I would not make a living out of it. Sort of like an investment, I'd say.

Thank you for your comments!