PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 08:48
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DOUBLE BOGEY
Gents, the subtle glorification of a truly **** bit of airmanship is a risk to our brethren on ROTORHEAD with low skills a high egos. There are no circumstances acceptable EVER to fly in such a manner as to risk the safety of your aircraft or
On the first glance, you‘re right.
But as always, only having little information, who knows?
May be the crew knows the routing, has been there before, is it a bad weather crossing opportunity?
May be it’s just the ridge, much better 500 meters before and behind?
May be they are on a live saving mission, where somebody will die for sure, if they don’t fly?
Seems, the crew is working together, with an open door for better vis.
They are going slowly at the side of the road to avoid trucktraffic, gear down.
They have a stone wall, which makes good visual reference.
I wouldnˋt throw the first stone, cause I have been in an similar situation, just worse.
Caught out in a heavy shower at night (NVG), radar telling me, either way around at least 15 miles of ****ty weather....
Hillside, with trees.
So I ended up, hovering along a powerline, which I illuminated with the landing light, cause I couldn’t see from mast to mast and would have certainly ended in it, if I had lost sight of it.
One eye on the fuel gauge, which seemed to empty far to fast, hoping for a clearing, where I could put the bird down - but didn’t find one.
Nowadays I for sure circumnavigate that area if the weather gets bad again - and or terminate the flight.
Still, last winter, have been searching for someone on another hillside, where the wind cumulated the clouds along the slope.
It was night again and we were around 100 feet ground in some places, but with an escaperoute visiable and a crew, who worked together. Would have been an interesting sight from the ground as well...