PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gallantry Ignored
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 07:13
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
I understand the point you make OD and suspect that the unintended consequences are indeed as you describe, but the logic of the Major government reforms were in the main correct in my view. Gallantry should be properly and equally recognised, be it by Private or Star Rank alike. The problems created by crews sharing the same danger, be they in aircraft, tanks, or ships, are as old as the various craft they man. On the 30 Sqn Association we had an ex airman rear gunner who shared the very same danger as his two commissioned Fairey Battle crew members in 1940. Unlike mgd's Chinook crewmen, he carried a chip on his shoulder to his dying day. "There were medals for the pilots and navigators but none for we rear gunners", he would complain with some justification. The other issue that grated was that when he complained his Lewis gun overheated firing back at Me109's engaging them he was told, "Then don't fire it as much!". Hopefully he would now get the same medal as the nav. If neither did, then at least he would not be alone in being bare chested. It was the plain injustice of his treatment that rankled, which is not the case these days I feel.