PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deliberate faking of stalls in RAA Training in aircraft that won't stall
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 23:07
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
Begging the question of "deliberate mishandling" by the pilot, I too have experienced the benign stall characteristics of an Evector Sportstar LSA and gentle it can be - so gentle it needs to be demonstrated so that it can be recognised and recovered. BUT as Squawk says, if it is deliberately mishandled by a fool, or more likely as a result of an upset caused by turbulence ( it is light), or if the pilot loses situational awareness in cloud, it will bite and bite hard. it will drop a wing and when you pick that up, it will drop it on the other side. When an instructor demonstrated "benign" to me he damn near had us into the ground he was so thrilled with "'benign" which just goes to show when you make anything foolproof all you do is attract a bigger fool. God knows what the spin characteristics are like, I don't want to find out.
I don’t know what is in the RAA syllabus so will just comment on CASA’s.
Back in the days before Part 61 there was a Day VFR Syllabus for pilot training which included “Recovers from stall during a turn” and “Recover from incipient spin”. Note: “incipient spin entry (stall with wing drop)”. There was also “Recovers at incipient spin stage during a turn”. So, it was quite clear that pilots undergoing basic training must perform stalls in a turn.

Required underpinning knowledge included: the potential dangers of unbalanced flight at slow speed so pilots should know that stuff.

Now we have Part 61 and the associated Manual of Standards – we have even more stalls to do as part of the required syllabus. Those same underpinning knowledge items are still there so new pilots should also know that stuff.

These are not violent aerobatic manoeuvres but situations you would expect in the service life of the aircraft. The certification process (ASTM? JAR? EASA?) caters for this. Someone like DJPL might explain better.
The required underpinning knowledge includes the symmetrical and rolling ‘g-force’ limitations of the aircraft being operated so pilots should know that stuff.

You are misguided and in any case wrong. Aircraft are fitted with control stops designed to preclude jamming at extremes of travel. Are you a pilot? Your student pilot/jammed aileron alleged example is pure BS.
I have encountered control jamming from FOD found before I started the engine. I am aware of a recent control jam due FOD which occurred in flight. There are other causes of control jams but FOD is too common and it gets to choose when it jams the control.

CASA has recently redefined aerobatics so it is now not the same as ICAO’s definition which the other major aviation countries have, beats me why they have changed it but the consequence is, in my opinion, that advanced stall training per Part 61 must be done in an aeroplane approved for aerobatics and the instructor must have a spin and/or aerobatic training endorsement. I therefore don’t see how RAA instructors can legally teach the full suite of stall exercises and I understand that RAA instructors are not required to have any spin training themselves unlike GA instructors.