PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bournemouth-4
Thread: Bournemouth-4
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 15:20
tibbs87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shamrock7seal
The question was would a Holiday, Package, IT flight (with 737 or A320 sized a/c) from Newcastle, Glasgow or Leeds Bradford work only in the summer months bringing domestic stay-cation tourists from the North down to the South Coast - specifically for a summer beach holiday in Bournemouth?

Newquay seems to support this theory (albeit with Flybe) but Bournemouth has over 7m tourists (12m if you include Poole and surrounding area) a year mostly from domestic UK.

I think it's a possibility, but the council and Rigby Group would need to ensure better transportation links between the airport and key destinations like Christchurch, Bournemouth & Poole centres or train stations - that's the real flaw at the moment. But if they sorted out local infrastructure I think seasonal charter flights from Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow would work - we could even see charters coming in from Aberdeen, Belfast, Doncaster, Teesside & Norwich. It would be an amazing opportunity for local tourism, I would say they would need to perhaps implement smaller aircraft to test the market, ie Embraer jets or A319 sized aircraft & when the need arises upgrade to larger aircraft when the demand is there?