PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Icelandic volcano rumbling
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2018, 20:57
ZOOKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tubby and Tangoed......Just the usual bit of fun.

Back in 1979, one of my third-year course options was 'Applied Geomorphology', with Dr. John Doornkamp. We looked at 'volcanic hazards', obviously, but it was only 3 years later, when Eric Moody and his crew took part in the 'Speedbird 9 experiment', that this particular problem was flagged up.
I remember the Heimaey eruption in 1973, but as far as I recall, there was no mention of any effect on NAT or European air traffic. It was an effusive, rather than explosive eruption.
Eyjafjallajökull was a different beastie, but was still quite small. Material from the much larger, but effusive, 1783 Laki eruption, has been found near Baghdad.
Katla, and Hekla are the Icelandic volcanoes to watch, but Bardabunga could be interesting too. A subglacial caldera-collapse hasn't been seen in recent times.
April 2010's result was definitely 'Plate Tectonics one, pilots nil', but that's O.K., because there were no aircraft accidents. Sure, some people may have lost a few bob, but we all lived to travel, safely, on another day.
I remember travelling down the M6 a few years ago, after a well-notified impending westerly gale. I couldn't believe the number of overturned trucks. I remember seeing the ferry, 'Riverdance', on it's side on the beach off Cleveleys, having been at sea during a storm forecasted 3 days previously.
In 2010, there was thankfully no aircraft wreckage, because you all stayed on the ground. There was a TV interview shortly after with his Learmountship, about the hazards of operating jet engines in areas of 'pyroclastic contamination'. He was bang on the money.
Safe flying, as always.

Last edited by ZOOKER; 1st Aug 2018 at 21:22.