PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - controllers with broken english
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2003, 08:02
wellthis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do agree that sometimes the english speaking folks get creative and deviate from the standard terminology, but speaking two different languages in the same terminal area is far more dangerous. The problem in French-speaking skies is exactly that, when you hear a sentence and then your call sign. They're obviously talking about your location/altitude/intentions...but you have no clue what they are saying. It is completely unsafe how they are allowed to do that. My French speaking FO once tried chatting en Francais, to which I showed no tolerance.

Hats off to most European or even Arab countries for communicating in English even amongst themselves most of the times, but in France they never speak English to a French-speaking pilot. Of course the roots of most words are French and not Latin which is the mother of most European languages. Once a friend tried to convince me that 'week-end' was French! I'll be happy to learn another language, but I just wish people decide on something and then 'just do it'!