PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - $5,000 fine for not monitoring the radio
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2018, 07:21
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cogwheel
I understand the eight calls around the circuit is being addressed in the next education program!

Folks,
As I have often said in other threads, until we get rid of the "pingya" approach to "education", there will be no improvement.

That the "radio" is for communications, not for "practicing radio work".

For those of you who are not familiar, re. the "recommended" circuit calls: "You must make all the calls all the time, "then they can't pingya".

In an atmosphere of perceived draconian compliance and enforcement, using commonsense (sometime called airmanship) to tailor your radio calls to the circumstances is just not seriously considered.

Also illustrated in another post ---- somebody just going through the rituals, as long as the call is made, you have complied.

"Compliance" has been elevated to a level that totally obscures why you are making the calls in the first place. In my experience, several "Regionals" are very good at this. A taxi call is made, in the circuit you reply, regardless they still taxi out and line up when you are on final. A good mate of mine recently had it happen twice in one day, two different "Regionals".

Finally, only $5000, that's cheap, almost all offenses are 50 penalty points, almost $11,000.

Tootle pip!!